Monday, November 3, 2014

Mr. Wrinkles, take two


   
    Having the opportunity to repaint a piece that I painted in the past is something that I've wanted to do quite often. However, time is something that has kept me from actually doing it; that, and the fact that many of the pieces that I've painted over the years are in somebody else's collection, which may be on the other side of the continent, or even on the other side of the planet! There's one such piece that's at home in my display cabinet, though. I look at it in the evening when I sit and think on my couch, and each time I see it, I want to give it a few more hours time on my work bench to take it to where I now think it should be.  The piece is Mr. Wrinkles, sculpted by Jon Payne.

  Jon has fast become one of my favorite sculptors, and I eagerly await for him to reveal the creative, twisted, and expressive characters he consistently produces. I purchased a casting of Mr. Wrinkles from Jon at the 2013 Monsterpalooza show in Burbank, CA. I finished Mr. Wrinkles late that year. While I was fairly happy with it, the more I looked at my paint work,  I realized that he seemed far too warm and ruddy toned for my liking. The desire to take him out of the display case and spend a few hours with him became a daily occurrence, and I finally relented a few weeks ago. 

                                    



                                                             Mr. Wrinkles 2013 paint
                


 I spent time pushing back the warm skin tones in certain areas, lightening the high points, and accenting the wrinkles. I also pushed some of the shadows a little darker than I had done previously. As you can see below, the result is much cooler in tone, and much more to my liking. I think it was time well spent. Thank you for looking :)
  

                                                 


                                                            Updated Mr. Wrinkles 2014
                                                           


                                                  







































No comments:

Post a Comment