Wednesday, March 24, 2010

CM Studio 1/12 Albertosaurus

BONE CRUSHER





Aaah, it's good to be back. I've not posted anything in a while due to finally getting back to work (after an over year long layoff) and working some other projects. But getting back to business, I'd like to share my latest painting project. It's a 1/12 scale Albertosaurus sculpted by Charlie McGrady of CM Studio.








Charlie sculpted this animal with an immensely thick and brutish stature; barrel chested with extremely powerful legs and a massive gaping maw of bone crushing power. Since the time I first discovered Charlies work at a resin model kit convention called Wonderfest in Louisville, KY back in 1998, I always desired to paint one of his fantastic dinosaur pieces; Hell, at least hold one!




This project was a great challenge, allowing me to experiment with a subject I had never worked with before. I made the base myself using a wooden plaque, model railroad materials and some natural elements found outdoors. Though it didn't turn out exactly how I'd envisioned it I'm still pleased, and the important thing is that I did learn from the experience. I have several more amazing dinosaur pieces coming, and I'm quite enthusiastic about having more opportunities to work with such amazing creatures.













2 comments:

  1. Excellent work Jason! I'm sure this is the first of many more dinos! Love what you did with the mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great work, will come very handy for reference.

    ReplyDelete