Thursday, October 27, 2011

SHAWK !





Yes, it's October. An absolute favorite time of the year for me. It is October, and Halloween is very near; belly crawling like a wraith on it's skeletal fingers and toes, and I've not even set out any decorations; nor have I carved a pumpkin, smoked out my house with a fog machine, chosen a costume or anything like that. But I did manage to finish painting a Shock Monster bust, and that somehow makes it all alright...

There's just something about that face.
He's damn ugly, and from the look of it, he might be willing to see what you taste like; but I'll bet he only wants to play. He looks too stupid to want to do any real harm, intentionally. I'm sure he'd play a little rough or drool a glob of rotten lung tissue on you while giving you a Dutch Rub, but other than that I'll bet he's a great guy.

The Shock Monster (originally titled "Horror Zombie")
was illustrated by Keith Ward, also responsible to the illustration of the Elmer's bull. Shock Monster was originally seen in Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine advertisements as a latex mask from the Topstone company in the late 1950's.






He's still here today, and he's been hanging out on my lazy susan, compliments of sculptor Casey Love.


Casey Love released this piece in late 2009 if memor
y serves me correctly. There were some really cool life-sized, latex displays of the Shock Monster, but what I wanted was a smaller, resin bust, and this piece was perfect for me. I did some custom work to the mouth in reshaping the teeth; grinding a few out and deepening the mouth so that I could insert a nice, fat tongue.





The head was sculpted without hair so one can replicate the near dreadlocked, shocked-out mop this creep is famous for. Casey sent along a small amount of charcoal gray crepe hair, which I mixed in with some dark brown and black wig hair I had stash
ed away.

So, for securing hair to the head I've always used Liquitex Matte
Medium as an adhesive in the past, and I started out using it on this project, but it dries very slowly and also left the hair looking really rigid. I needed something that would dry much faster and also allow for some flex when it came time to style it. Rubber cement, Elmers, (with the bull ;), did the trick. When I finished applying the result made me think of a mix between King Buzzo (The Melvins) and Todd Trainer (Shellac):









A little Green, snip-snip, styling mousse and blah-blah-blah...he's done. I absolutely had to have it finished before Halloween. So after the photo shoot I'm gonna' sit him on a t.v. tray next to me, offer him a Pabst and we'll watch Dawn of the Dead tog
ether. Have a kick-ass Halloween this year, Ladies and Germs!



























No comments:

Post a Comment